Sunday, May 10, 2009

A tribute to mum.

Dear Mum,

I know you might never have a chance to read this. But I would still love to dedicate this post to you. Who knows, you might just pick up English and computer well enough to be able to read this post one day?

Today is Mother's Day. This year, we weren't able to celebrate it together. But as long as you like, everyday would be Mother's Day.

Thank you all these years for all the things you've done for us. I couldn't thank you enough but these are some of the lovable things about you that I've listed out:

1. You are a wonderful cook. Past, and present.
Although your culinary skill has mellowed significantly, I'll still shove down anything you cook gladly because those food had a special ingredient in them which I can never find them anywhere else; your love.

2. You are a strong an independent woman.
Anyone who knows you well enough would agree with this. There's just no suitable word to describe how much you've done for us since Ah Pa fell sick. You did not only keep the family going, but you've managed to take good care of Ah Pa until the very last moment. Even the doctors themselves have said that what you've done could be considered a miracle. 9 years. That's the number of years you did not have a single night of sound sleep, scrimping every single cent you can and working tirelesslly just to give us a family. As a result, your youthful appearance turn haggard and your body ached frequently as a form of protest. What's more amazing is that, against all odds, you made sure to provide the 4 of us with the best education and managed to brought us up to what we are today. Single-handedly.

3. You are a "cool" mum.
Despite being not well-versed in English, you love to watch all those latest "ang-moh" movies and shows. Although you might not know their titles, you would still tell me about the show where people trying to run from the prison, 4 gossip-loving aunties, the lady who can talk to ghost, and a random plane crash on a deserted island. You love trips to cinema too, to catch the hottest blockbuster movies in town. And then you couldn't stop Yue from obsessing with her animes. What to do? You join her. You've no idea how amused I am everytime you mimicked a character from those animes. Some of the best ones including Kon and Nel from Bleach. Oh, and your rap version of Jay Chou's "ye ye pao de cha" is a classic.

4. You goof and joke around with us, no matter how silly we are.
I don't know anyone else my age who can "babytalk" with their mum. Poker and mahjong sessions are always filled with interesting moments thanks to your random-ness. The one time where you yelled at Yue and I for addressing ourselves with the term "Lao Niang" is most hillarious. According to you we can't use Lao Niang in front of the REAL "Lao Niang". LMAO! I acted like a dork sometimes just to make you laugh. But you acted dorkier in return sometimes just so I don't seem like a loony girl. Laughter is the thing that our home will never run out of, no matter how down we might be.

5. You never stop caring and worrying for us.
You might not wear worry on your face, but I know deep down you care much more than anyone of us. Whenever we got sick or into some other trouble (like saman) you would nag for what seems like eternity that it's our fault for not being careful enough. But then, you would still go to the trouble of cooking us herbal tea or "negotiating" with the authorities to settle the saman at a lower price. Oh, your "negotiation" skill is first-class.

The list could go on forever and ever but I couldn't put the rest into better word for now. In short, you are the best mum that I could ever ask for. Although you might not be perfect, but you still try to do things the best you can in your own unique ways. And because of that, I am who I am right now.

This computer can't type in chinese but I would like to say this in our own unique way to; I love you "duo duo", Mum. And I know you love me even more "duo duo".

Happy Mother's Day, Mum. =D


Love from your most favourite "Dunlop Pillow",
Xin

4 comments:

~CiPei~ said...

Happy Mother's Day!!

karen said...

and one more point: ur mum is pretty!

Kaixin said...

ahaha..tell her the next time u see her. i'm sure she'll be so happy she can't sleep at night!!! haha. how's life for you there?

karen said...

life's alright here...
busy with my special sem now.
u take care ...^^