Monday, May 4, 2009

A letter to the one above..

Dear Pa,

It was exactly a week before my 18th-birthday, when you left us.
It shouldn't be unexpected, in fact it was speculated years ago, but it still came as a shock when you left so suddenly.
It was the most horrible day in my life, for I decided to "play nice" and not bring my handphone to school.

Ahmah left to join Ah Gong and you a couple of years ago too. I wonder how are you all doing? There were 3 chairs being set up during the offering ritual today, as oppossed to the usual 1. I'm glad that at least you weren't eating alone now.

Today, it is already 4 years since you left us (according to the Lunar Calendar anyway). We are all doing fine now, despite some occasional obstacles that we were met with. But amidst our hustling and bustling lives, never once did I forget you. Sometimes, I would still see you in my dreams and woke up thinking you are still with us. Sometimes, it was like you never left us at all.
I hope that you are doing well wherever you are. And if you are watching us somewhere up there, I hope you'll be wearing a smile on your face too. Just like the potrait of a jolly chubby middle-aged man smiling so kindly which is hanging in the living room at home.

I will always love you, Pa. =)

From your fattest and funniest daughter,
Ah Xin.

4 comments:

ShiHui said...

T.T

Kaixin said...

=)

chareli said...

such a beautifully-written post. so heart felt.

strive on! make him proud!=)

shynn said...

i know how you feel..